Wednesday, March 31, 2010

frustration

sadie
Sadie sniffs a crocus while I photograph it for my wallpaper.

I have been trying to make healthy lifestyle changes - to take off some poundage, get in shape with my personal trainer at the gym, and eat more wholesome foods. I was on a good course of action when I met Paul in July. You know how you gain weight when you first get into a relationship? Not only did Paul and I eat out all the time, but we also explored our love of beer by checking out local breweries and going to beer festivals. It was all so happy and romantic and fun . . . until the day I could barely button my favorite pair of pinstriped trousers.

Suddenly I saw where all those pints of Detroit Dwarf, Huma Lupa Licious, Hopslam, Bell's Brown Ale, and all the pub burgers, onion rings, giant plates of creamy pasta, and platters of sesame chicken went. Right here. Pasted to my body like a lumpy sticky note that screamed "what the hell have you done?!"

crocus

So I started going to the gym 4-5 times a week, three of those days with my trainer. I ate healthy food, measured my portions, and really enjoyed feeling lighter and stronger. But life has a way of stomping on your plans.

Last November and December, I had whooping cough for six weeks. Then it was Christmas and New Years. In January I had a soft tissue foot injury that put me in a Frankenstein boot for two weeks and in pain for six; then I caught a cold that turned into tonsillitis for two weeks; and NOW I am getting over a horrid case of strep throat. Yesterday I went to the walk-in clinic almost in tears because I was in so much pain - aching all over, unable to swallow or turn my head, feverish, and miserable. Today I'm finally beginning to feel better. Thank you, antibiotics.

sophie

When you're sick or in pain and unable to go to the gym, or shop for healthy food, or be motivated to do much of anything, it's hard to stay on track. I kept getting through one thing, only to be hit a few weeks later with some other issue. I felt like I was on some game show called "Name Lisa's Ailment".

Hopefully the worst is behind me. I'm determined to be over the strep for the upcoming Easter weekend, and then I plan to hit the gym again next week. I'm not giving up - I won't.

I also need to figure out why I've been so sick this season and how to strengthen my immune system. I mean, really - whooping cough?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. It is so true, how pain and illness limits your ability to keep up with weight and fitness. May this Spring bring you health to go with your happiness.
Love and miss you,
Rosanne

Erin Nicole said...

love the first pic, and i know what you mean, similar situations have happened to me to keep me out of the gym, but noo i'm done, no more excuses.

Annie Patterson said...

i love your photos! This doggie is amazing. i want one!