Thursday, November 20, 2008

latest obesssion

emily doll

So, apparently, I have become addicted to sewing. It all started with the doll kits on Inside A Black Apple - I thought they were just the cutest thing, and something every girl of any age should own. Emily Martin, the artist, was on Martha Stewart and offered a free pattern to download. That was it. I was hooked. (Visit Emily's Etsy store here).

It's always risky to start a new hobby. You want to try it out and see if you like it and are good at it, but you don't want to invest a TON of money. But then you need proper tools to get you going so you're not frustrated. I took the risk and bought myself a sewing machine (after all, there's always e-bay in case things don't work out). I didn't even know how to turn it on, and then spent an evening squinting at the instruction manual and sewing tentative stitches on scraps of old material.

Then I attempted the dolls. It was all so new and confusing, and strangely exciting. There were several failed attempts. Who knew that you make a doll inside out, then flip it? That right sides of the fabric always need to face each other? That sewing a curve could be so challenging? Whew, it was bad. Seams with holes in them, arms facing the wrong way, dolls seeming to explode left and right. But then suddenly I got it. And then I ordered one of Emily's second round of doll kits, put all my new skills to use, and voila! My first perfect doll.

Then I decided I'd like to attempt a quilt. Wisely, I chose to start small and see how everything worked and how the pieces fit together. I whipped up this . . . ummm . . . really big coaster? Placemat? Quilt for a bunny? I read various instructions online, and then just decided to wing it.

little quilt thing

It's not perfect by any means, but I can totally do this. Now I'm looking at more fabric online, buying magazines, and dreaming of patterns. What else can I make? Curtains? Dog beds? Skirts?

Oh, I am totally hooked.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

Umm....i LOVE THAT DOLL!! Can i have one? And that mini quilt is beautiful. You are one talented lady. My friend got me a dress pattern for my birthday..i can't wait to start sewing. I am but a beginner but i think it gets easier as you go along. You can be my inspiration.