Sunday, August 10, 2008

here and everywhere

jim's all-star game
Jim, at his league's All-Star game today.

I'm not exactly sure where I've been. Easing my way back into work when I could have used a few more weeks at home. Hobbling around my house, trying to get things done, battling an unexpected dip in my mood (now addressed with increased meds). I wanted to keep up the momentum of my peaceful, positive mood of the past month or so, but that just didn't happen. I had a doctor's appointment, and he assured me that these peaks and valleys are normal at this point. I'm on the very lowest dose of my medication, with tons of room to build it to where I need to be. I'm climbing my way back up again, and will be patient while that happens.

But I'm enjoying the Olympics! The opening ceremonies were amazing. I've been watching the events nonstop since it started - it's always on in the background while I'm doing other things. My favorite event is gymnastics, and I also like diving, swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and trampoline. I love all the drama and the back stories of the athletes and how they've arrived at this point.

I also find the Chinese culture fascinating, so I'm enjoying that aspect of it, too. I'm reading Lost on Planet China: The Strange and True Story of One Man's Attempt to Understand the World's Most Mystifying Nation, or How He Became Comfortable Eating Live Squid by J. Maarten Troost, which I highly recommend. Run out and buy it now! It's a humorous and interesting book.


I also got to see Wicked! I met Beth and her friend Shelly in East Lansing, and we had a great dinner at PF Chang's before seeing the show at the Wharton Center on the MSU campus. The show was fantastic. I had read the book and was wondering how they would bring it to the stage. Well . . . the show is nothing like the book! I mean, there were basic plotlines and characters, but the book is sooooo dark with no happy endings. It's hard to watch a movie or show based on a book, because you're constantly comparing and thinking ahead, and keeping a tally of what was changed or dropped.

At intermission, I got out my trusty Blackberry and did some research on Wikipedia. I read that yes, the the musical is loosely based on the book. Which was fine, and knowing this, I could sit back and enjoy Act II with no expectations. So if you read the book and then expect to see the musical version, or if you see the show and then read the book, in both cases you'll be thinking WHAT???!!! Now, beyond all that, the show itself was great! It's coming to Detroit this winter, and I plan to see it again.

My foot is much better. I have more movement in my toe every day, and faithfully do my toe stretches to keep the muscles from tightening up. I'm still wearing the nifty velcro shoe, probably for another week. I have some swelling and walk with a bit of a limp, but the incision has already healed to a pink line. I miss my shoes!

No comments: