Sunday, September 7, 2008

eggy thing

eggything!

This is one of my favorite ways to eat eggs - I've always called it "that eggy thing". It's a great way to get a huge portion of vegetables into your meal, while getting protein (and satisfying your scrambled eggs and cheese craving). It actually has more vegetables than eggs in it.

You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand that sound good to you. I almost always start with zucchini and go from there. It's also good with asparagus or onions or both. Or artichoke hearts. Ooo! I just thought of that one. Yes, artichokes!

Here's how I make it: sautee lots of zucchini and summer squash (or whatever veggies you want to use) in a teaspoon or so of olive oil, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and as much fresh minced garlic you want. Add dashes of water as it cooks to keep it from drying out. In the meantime, beat two or three eggs in a bowl. When the vegetables are cooked, turn the flame down and dump the eggs over the top. Quickly stir it all up until your eggs are done. Sprinkle an ounce or so of cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you fancy) over the top, fold whole thing over a few times, and slide it into a gigantic pasta bowl. It's big. You really can't add too many vegetables to it.

I'm feeling much better today, just dealing with some residual bleccchh feelings. Remember that six week herx from hell? This is nothing like that. I slept another 10 hours last night and spent today in the yard and in the house cleaning. I'm telling you: sleep, lots of water, and a hot Epsom bath is like magic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now i'm hungry...

Anonymous said...

this sounds yummy, i never thought of putting the eggs over the veggies. I usually use two pans.

I will have to try this,

michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness this sounds delish, and I have some fresh zucchini to get rid of too.... :o) Yay! I know what we're having for dinner tonight...