Wednesday, September 3, 2008

happiest place on earth

watermelon!

I love buying produce. One of my favorite places is Westborn Market. I walk in and I'm instantly in a good mood (note to self: when depressed, go shopping for squash). It's kinda-sorta on my way home from work and worth the few miles out of my way. Tomatoes! Little personal watermelons! Cute apricots that smell so good you want to stick your face in the bin! Piles of sweet corn! Bags of red cherries! Where to begin?

shopping!

I loaded up on avocados, a gigantic tub of mixed green lettuce, plums, summer squash, zucchini, and garlic hommus. I bought a spaghetti squash, which I don't know how to cook and have never eaten. I also bought some fruit called pluots, which is a cross between a plum and an apricot. Who knew? When they start crossing plums and beer, I'll be even more excited.

In the spirit of feeding myself better, I came home and made a big salad with avocado, homemade sesame dressing (recipe follows), and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. Then I ate two of the pluots - YUM. Very sweet and juicy.

Oh, and I also moved a pilates DVD to the top of my Netflix queue so it will arrive by the weekend. I can't put any impact on my foot or even walk for long distances, but I suppose that's no excuse for not working out. Though it was nice while it lasted. I like aerobic exercise, the huff and puff-sweat-dripping-down-your-bright-pink-face-heart-jumping-all-over-music-blasting high energy workouts. I was never one to pop in a video and do situps and squats. Yuck. However, I am reminding myself that I am branching out, trying new things, and getting my ever-widening patootie off my couch. So yes. Pilates.

It's raining here. RAINING! We've had next to no rain here in August and are 3" below normal rainfall, which is quite the contrast to the soggy June we had. I was so excited that I took this photo through my windshield at Westborn (yes, I get to park in handicapped spots for awhile).

rain!

I found this recipe somewhere online a long time ago, but I have no idea where. I make it constantly and have the recipe taped inside my cupboard door.

Sesame Dressing

1/4 c. rice cooking wine
1/4 c. sesame oil
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
tiny pinch of red pepper flakes to taste

Put everything in a container or jar, keep it in the fridge, and shake it up like mad before you use it. You don't really need that much on your salad - the taste is wonderful.

You can find rice cooking wine in the Asian food section at most stores. I once made it with rice wine vinegar instead, but thought it was too tart.

No comments: